3.09.2014

Gumpaste Lilac Cake!



Lilacs! They are probably the most inspirational flower I could make this long, cold, snowy winter. So you can imagine how delighted I was to find out they were the favorite flower of this birthday girl. I'm just starting to dive into the world of do it yourself gum-paste flowers. It really intimidated me, until recently, when I was asked to do some hydrangeas for a wedding cake. I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I decided to try my hand at making some. That was my first experience making my own gum-paste flowers. 
 Lilacs were a little different story. Each little flower you see is made by hand, no cutter necessary. This tutorial was amazing! Yes, they were time consuming and yes you need to make way more than you think you'll need for a bunch and yes each flower is wired individually, but it was really great to learn a new technique and I couldn't believe how true to the real deal lilacs they actually turned out when I put them all together! 
For this 60th birthday I also made a couple dozen lilac frosted cupcakes to go with.

Thanks also to Optika for this shot of the cake and cupcakes! Go check out their new website! They do good work!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin